I suppose one of my major regrets in life; is that I didn't visit India.
Everything about India fascinates me. The people, the architecture, the
culture, and of course the food.
We don't have actual TV here in France, but I do have a plug-in device that is
filled with a variety of favourite programmes; including all of Rick Stein's
travel/food shows.
Possibly my favourite of all his shows is the series on India. On a rainy
afternoon, I will watch an episode for the 100th time, and enjoy it as much as
I did on the 1st. Above is just a taster!
The only country I've visited that had an entirely different culture to ours
was Morocco. Just across the water from Southern Spain, one finds this country where
everything is so completely different to life in Europe. However, I don't
think that feeling of 'difference' could compare to that of India.
I should have gone when I was a student, but, who knows, I might never have
come back.
My Uncle Reginald who was Tea Planting in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) only returned to
the UK after he contracted Para-Typhoid, and had to be repatriated. Otherwise
he too might have stayed.
Stein makes his India programmes whilst staying at a small lakeside 'bungalow'. I
could have imagined myself living in such a home, with a cook and a
housekeeper. A bit fanciful maybe, but very do-able with Indian costs being so
much more reasonable than The West.
Sadly, too late now!
I have been there many times - always travelling independently as opposed to being part of a tour so you get a good feel of the chaos of the place.
ReplyDeleteI haven’t been to anywhere quite like it - completely chaotic yet it works.
We were lucky enough once to travel up to Kashmir, we rented a house boat on Dal Lake which was magical.
If you want a good summer read try The Raj Quartet and the “sequel” Staying On.
It is so unlike anywhere else, and even the 'cuisine' is so different. Totally exotic. I really don't know why I never visited; but I'm not a great traveller (unlike you!). My mother took me to Veeraswamy's (sp?) in Regent St when I was about 12, and I was hooked!
DeleteYou are right, it is also incredibly diverse…hardly surprising given the size of it I found the north complete different to the south. We went to a place on the south west coast called Varkala, it was almost undeveloped at the time. Not so now. We took the regular passenger ferry through the backwaters, travelled by local bus and train. Great vacations.
DeleteGenerally we were okay as far as Delhi belly was concerned. Only bottled water and vegetarian food (which is no hardship in India). One trip we were in Varanasi, I admit it did get a bit too intense. We bought a “pool ticket” for the best hotel in town and spent the majority of the day swimming. We needed the break from the intensity of India.
I imagine that the 'Culture Assault' could become quite overpowering at times, and you'd need to escape. Even so; what a country!
DeleteWe went there on a birdwatching holiday, that was nice, got to some national parks and saw lots of wildlife, rode an elephant to see tigers, all of that. But I really didn't like the chaos, the crowds, noisy traffic with car hooting all the time, the dirtiness, rubbish everywhere, the heat and stink of the railway stations where people had 'gone'. I also didn't like the stark contrast in the very well off and the absolute destitute, poor ragged children begging on the streets etc. Not for me I'm afraid.
ReplyDeleteI never fancied going there. My brother Stephen told me what it was like, he married an Indian girl and lived there for many years. They adopted a three legged dog that was roaming the streets. He died there a few years ago and his wife lit the funeral pyre.
ReplyDeleteThe neighbor who recruited me to co-chair our local arts committee, is have a new apartment built in India, I get the feeling it is their retirement plan.
ReplyDelete