I know I'll get a lot of 'stick' for posting this video, but it has just been sent to me by an old school chum, and it brought back so many wonderful memories.
I've never previously seen aerial film of my old school, and I must admit that I find it totally fascinating. I am posting it here so that I don't lose it. That long medieval building at 0.20 is where I spent four years of my life between 1960 and 64. The building itself is said to be the oldest continuously inhabited domestic building in Europe.
Situated not far from Cambridge, and predating the University by a couple of centuries, the school was officially founded in 970 AD, but is probably much older. At 1,056 years old, it is amongst the world's oldest, and led the way for all other similar schools to follow.
It isn't like a modern school with one main building and a 'playground'. There were separate buildings all over the place, and one had to walk a long way to get to certain classes or events. It was almost like being in a small medieval village.
As well as school life there was the ever-present Cathedral. It dominated everything, and we attended every morning, and twice on Sundays. I feel so privileged to have been able to wander around the interior whenever I liked. I explored hidden corners that very few people ever get to see.
I'm showing the video partly for those who have heard about such institutions, but not really known much about them. Mine was an academic school, and I was very fortunate to have passed my entrance exam. These schools have both good and bad reputations; I think I was extremely lucky with mine!!!
What an amazing pi suppose it offered you a solid base for helace to have gone to school. You lived with history. I go on about ruins here, but you trod through that amazing 'village' every day
ReplyDeleteChurch every morning and twice on Sunday.....I'm amazed you're not still a dedicated church attender.
Sorry about all my mistakes, though I'm sure you're used to them now. I cant check before I press publish on this phone
DeleteYes, it really was an amazing place. The more I think about it, the more I appreciate it. Right opposite where I lived there was a medieval chapel, where I used to go to read in peace. It was always empty and was stunning (Prior Crauden's Chapel). I don't mind your mistakes; we all make them!!!
DeleteWhat a beautiful place to spend your schooldays. My Grammar school was a mish mash of buildings in the red light district of Leicester! One of the buildings was previously an attractive chapel, complete with organ that was played by various "musical "girls at assembly. Happy days, and a good education.
ReplyDeleteA lot of the 60's and 70's built schools are already in a bad state. Modern building standards aren't that wonderful.
DeleteYou won't get any stick from me, you can post what you like. That looks like an interesting school. Drone footage adds a new dimension to photographs. Wish I could show mine but sadly they are both long gone, now houses cover the land.
ReplyDeleteIt's very strange for me seeing it from above. It looks like a different place. We should probably have all been given a map when we first arrived, to make more sense of it.
DeleteSo many really good old schools have closed recently because of the jealous and spiteful politicians.
ReplyDeleteIt's very sad. They have closed down hundreds of really good quality schools, and are now having to pay for an influx of new children into the state system. All in the name of 'Envy'. Madness.
DeleteMy mum's old school is closing its gates for the last time this week because of Rachel Reeves and her 20% Vat on school fees. The school was one of the oldest in the country, had beautiful buildings and is now lost. It was a few miles further up the road from Ely, at Thetford. My mum was a boarder there in the 1930s from the age of 9.
ReplyDeleteYet another one bites the dust. What do these people think they're doing? Doing away with quality education must be one of their most bizarre policies. They weren't even making money from it!!!
DeleteIt looks like a wonderful place to learn and develop as a person. A part of who you are today, is a result of your time spent there.
ReplyDeleteI do still feel like a product of the school. Life was quite rigid, but it was fair.
Delete