I recently read an article about the UK's most disliked public statues and monuments.
Some were predictable, such as the comical black lady on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square, others were more surprising. Many of the amateur incongruous-looking 'modern' sculptures were rightly given the thumbs down. But others were more puzzling.
Amongst the most disliked was Darlington's giant 'Brick Train' by Scottish Artist David Mach.
Personally I like it. It represents a Mallard class locomotive with smoke billowing from its chimney. Built entirely of bricks, it is an imposing structure.
Why would anyone not like it, what's not to like?
I think that the train of bricks is superb!
ReplyDeleteSo do I.
DeleteI like it.
ReplyDeleteSo do I.
DeleteI wonder what it was about it that people didn't like?
ReplyDeleteI like it and think it's a very clever idea
So do I.
DeleteIt's nice to me too. It's surprising to encounter something like this in a green field.
ReplyDeleteIt's not really in a field it's next to a busy A road on one side and a supermarket on the other. Darlington was one of the pioneering centers of the early railways in the UK
DeleteIt's a pity they don't show the wider location.
DeleteThis what one Trip Advisor reviewer said:-
ReplyDeleteDarlington's shame. What a waste of time. This dump is literally dumped in the corner of an industrial business park with directions to turn right, but it's a dead end!! There are no signs whatsoever once you're here. We just stumbled on it by chance and we're hugely disappointed. Don't bother!
P.S. Why couldn't we comment on yesterday's post? The blockage enraged me!
I couldn't understand it myself. I was probably more enraged than you!
DeleteDid yesterday's blockage have something to do with those annoying Anons and attempting to block them out?
ReplyDeleteIt must have. I've now undone it.
DeleteSometimes I suspect "they who say" are simply only "they" who say. Chico Marx in the 1933 movie Duck Soup "Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?"
ReplyDeleteThe Marx Bros were very wise. I often quote them myself.
DeleteIt is great. I was working down the road from it a few years ago and after shopping at Morrisons often had a wander round to admire it. Someone mentioned that it has lots of bat nesting holes in it, I could see the nest holes but never saw any bats
ReplyDeleteGood intentions are not always rewarded. We had Bats in our barn (in France), but as soon as it was changed into a house, they all disappeared, and came down to live with us 100 yards away.
DeleteI like it too, it looks like it's just emerging from a tunnel. At least it's real brick and not some ghastly Lego structure!
ReplyDeleteIt's a huge improvement on Carl André's work entitled 'A Pile of Bricks'.
DeleteC'est probablement un énorme travail de construction. Je trouve pourtant que la fumée ressemble à un gros caca. Pas à mon goût, mais chacun apprecie à sa manière. Dommage pour les "non commentaires" sur les manifestations d'élèves.
ReplyDeleteHuguette
You can made art with Lego bricks.
ReplyDelete