Our journey up from the South was boring but uneventful. With Kimbo's Sat-Nav it makes everything so much easier. We mostly travelled on France's wonderful motorways, so not much to look at. At one stage we did take a detour through some quite pretty villages, but I don't know quite why it was recommended.
Driving long distances is always tedious. We stopped a couple of times to let Billy stretch his legs, and for us to have a sandwich and drink. It was a hot day.
Travelling from Dieppe to Newhaven is even worse. It's a 4 hour crossing, and other than eating, there's not a lot to do.
For our past few crossings we've decided to have a cabin (above). They are very basic with four beds, a bathroom, and, in our most recent case, a sea view. After a long car-journey, we were all very tired so a few hours sleeping was very welcome. Billy stayed 'below-decks' in the car.
I've said many times before, but suddenly driving on English roads again is quite a shock. The traffic is appalling, and the potholes even worse. Someone/somewhere needs to do something about it pronto, otherwise the roads will soon be un-useable.

Welcome back. Glad the journey was uneventful if somewhat tedious and very long. Hopefully you sleep well tonight.
ReplyDeleteIt's now Sunday morning, and already we feel relaxed. My wife even held her regular Gin Party yesterday evening.
DeleteWe used to travel back and fifth by North Sea Ferries {P&O} Hull/Zeebrugge/Hull.... always used a cabin because it was an all nighter.... that little bit of comfort was wonderful after a long drive!!
ReplyDeleteAnd enjoy your winter in purgatory.... Connexions had an article about a promised relaxing of the 90 day ruling for French home owners.... which will mean your stays will be able to be longer....
DeleteThey've talked of this before, I hope this time they'll do something about it. We voted AGAINST Brexit exactly for the 'freedom of movement' business.
DeleteYou look very healthy in that picture - as if you have been somewhere hot and sunny this summer. I can't imagine where.
ReplyDeleteThe tan will soon disappear, although for the moment it's still quite hot down here. We went 'overseas'.
DeleteHow wonderful that you can enjoy both places, you are truly lucky.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's makes a nice change from one house to the other. Quite different life-styles.
DeleteWe once had a cabin for a night crossing to France...I was sharing a bunk with our then 2 yr old....all fine until the 8 yr old got out of bed and started wandering round the cabin. we quickly realised that he was sleepwalking and I never got a wink of sleep as the door couldn't be locked from the inside and I was convinced he would walk out and jump into the sea!!
ReplyDeleteWe had an indoor 'wedge' that I presume was to keep intruders outside. We didn't bother with it.
DeleteWelcome back to Blighty! Although I haven't been able to comment lately thanks to Google being awkward, I've followed your blog each day. Looking at your idyllic location in France, I do hope they finally decide to allow you more than 90 days at a time.
ReplyDeleteIt would make life easier. We would liked to have stayed for the Mushrooms, Walnuts, and Chestnuts. With only 90 days we miss so much.
DeleteThat was Coppa's Girl
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteWelcome back Cro! Hopefully you've had a good rest after all that travelling. I like travelling on ferries in a cabin where they can just rock me to sleep.
ReplyDeleteYes, we're back to 'normal' now. We were well 'rocked' when we came over; especially when nearing Newhaven.
DeleteGlad you had an easy trip back. It sure would be nice to stay in France for a couple of months more. Gigi
ReplyDeleteThis pic of you in Kimbo's Nav is great. You look comfortable. I thought you were on a train.
ReplyDelete