Monday, 14 September 2026

Student Accommodation


It's the start of the new academic year. Michaelmas term starts any day; or has already started. This means that students everywhere are moving into new bed-sits, squats, or (if their people are filthy rich) 5 star hotel suites; my two UK based grandsons are amongst them (in bed-sits).

The Young Ones (below) were classics of the ilk. During my own first year at college I shared a flat with two others. One of them once lit a gas ring with a piece of flaming newspaper, then dropped it in the rubbish bin (yes, we did actually have one). The bin caught fire, as did the curtain behind it, and had I not found it in time, and had been adept with a bucket of water, the whole house might have burned down.


The Young Ones were an anarchic bunch of 80's students, who represented perfectly many of the trends of the time. Along with Little Britain, it was one of the UK's funniest and well-loved TV comedy shows.

Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson, Alexi Sayle, and Nigel Planer played the main characters, and all went on to greater things. 

The genius who was Rik Mayall (black leather hat) sadly died back in 2014; what an extraordinary person he was. 

 

11 comments:

  1. N.B. My 'Reading List' page hasn't updated for 5 days. I presume there is another fault somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list is not updating either. I click on it anyway to see if something new has arrived.

      Delete
  2. Do miss the brilliant Rick Mayall. I thought he hit a career peak in 'Bottom' with Adrian Edmondson. Such a shame that the genre of Comedy is now missing from tv since the birth of woke.
    And I refuse to watch the ridiculous 'Mrs Brown's Boys.' What a relief the new Christmas edition got cancelled.

    I wonder if your blog is showing up in other blog links as far back as five days ago, as is mine, with the post 'Return to Blighty.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayall was underrated during his lifetime. He was a genius of the genre, and the BBC should broadcast re-runs.
      Mr Blogger seems to be making a Pig's Ear of things at the moment. It can't be more than a simple programming glitch.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't seen the programme but see it's good British humour.
    I have 2 at University this year. The youngest granddaughter starts next month. She's got a flat in Athens with her brother. Very expensive. Rent is atrocious.
    Good luck to all our grandchildren.
    My list hasn't updated either. Another darn glitch. I have a few blogs like yours on my tablet face page and look you up daily. But we are all missing reading and our readers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that everyone had suddenly gone quiet, but I'm sure it'll soon be fixed.
      Yes, good luck to all Uni Students. It costs so much these days, and many are being put-off by the expense. The Government should step forward. We NEED our young people to be as well educated as possible.

      Delete
    2. This glitch has been on-going since May and is getting worse. I wouldn't hold your breath. Best just to read your favourite blogs everyday and see if they have posted ...

      Delete
    3. If they don't appear in my 'Reading List', I can't get into them, unless I find them on someone else's page.

      Delete
    4. Cro, you have only two blogs on your list, and one of them is a year old. Go into Layout, and add the blogs that you like to read to your list.

      Delete
    5. Save favourites on home screen. Check when you know people who post daily.

      Delete
  4. Nigel Planer played a character called Neil but I must insist that his Neil was in no way typical of real life Neils who are the very pillars of our society - strong, handsome, kind and intelligent.

    ReplyDelete