We've been back in Brighton for a couple of weeks now, and my first observation has been how friendly people are. It used to be like that in France, but something has happened, and there is now a feeling of 'gloom' everywhere. Here we can hardly walk a few metres without someone stopping to chat, and they're not always people we know.
Our lives are not that different to how they are in France. We tend to eat much the same, we drink the same wines, and our time-table is not that different. In Brighton we see Foxes every day, but I would say that is the only noticeable daily difference.
I always like to compare my two supermarkets. In France, Leclerc is still excellent, but some shelves are regularly empty; I have no idea why. Here at Sainsbury's the aisles are littered with people filling baskets for online shoppers, and they do hamper one's movement. It's a big store but there must be between 20 and 30 people permanently filling huge trollies with online purchases. Not good.
Pickles. France has a huge love-affair with pickled Gherkins (Cornichons), but nothing else. There is a huge variety of sizes, shapes, and presentations, but they're still all Gherkins. There are no pickled Onions, Red Cabbage, or even Piccalilli on regular sale in France. Nor are there 'Branston' type pickles, or Chutneys. The UK is far more adventurous.
On the other hand, French Charcuterie is far superior. The variety of really good products, both on the Deli counter, and on the shelves, is superb. Something the UK still has to master. The UK also continues to have a problem with Sausages. I still cannot understand why we are obsessed with 'additives' in sausages. Please, please, will someone start a company making 100% Pork sausages. Nothing is simpler, and nothing is tastier.

You really know how to enjoy both worlds and I love how you explore the world through delicacies and food. Take care of yourself and don't climb to heights.
ReplyDeleteYes, my history of ladder-climbing isn't good. The back of my head still hurts from my fall over a month ago.
DeleteWhy comparing the two countries. You have wonderful products in France and good products in UK and can be lucky to enjoy both. Your sandals look great.
ReplyDeleteIt is simply interesting to compare. The two countries have such close ties that I find the differences fascinating. The Sandals are great; I'm wearing them at the moment.
DeleteThat's an interesting comparison between your 2 worlds. Our bread choices are excellent here even in midwinter and the big bakery has a machine which slices a country loaf in an instant.
ReplyDeleteI like your sandals. I hope the weather stays warm enough for them for a while yet. I'm looking forward to wearing sox and athletic shoes. It's getting much cooler here.
And Cro, make sure someone is holding your ladder, watching your every move!!
I shall need a safety harness; like a mountain climber. I'm quite looking forward to it.
DeleteI don't know where you buy your bread but I can buy maize,rye ,wholemeal, fig,olive,walnut, sourdough, as well as the ubiquitous baguette, locally, you need to get out more !
ReplyDeleteI don't want fancy tourist breads, I just want good quality white and wholemeal breads. I can assure you that over the past 55 years since we've lived in France the quality has dropped hugely. Most bakers now buy their dough ready made, and simply put it into an oven for a while. That's NOT bakery.
DeleteIt's a shame you don't have a good local butcher nearby. Their sausages will be far superior to any supermarket stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm not so sure. Every independent butcher I see has 'pink' sausages in their windows. I cannot understand the insistence on mixing powdered skin, etc, in with finely ground pork. Making REAL PORK SAUSAGES is so much easier, and requires just one product (plus S & P).
DeleteI love sandal weather and it's just weeks away, here in New Zealand. I love a good red onion pickle.
ReplyDeleteI have just bought a big pack of Red Onions.
DeleteThe gatherers "hamper one's movement". Is that because they put the stuff in hampers?
ReplyDelete"The classic, and often boring Baguette, has held them back. It is 'traditional' and they're sticking with it regardless." Ha! Ha! I like the "sticking" joke. Very clever.
My puns are at being appreciated. Cheers!
DeletePlease be careful when up a ladder. My Husband is now banned from being up a ladder or scaffolding after a nasty fall. We have an excellent local butcher who makes amazing sausages no additives at all, several flavours, truly delicious. All supermarket sausages even Waitrose and M&S are ghastly and full of additives. That's great you are happy to be back in Blighty. Here in our town everyone is very friendly, and our youngest son lives in Brighton a d we find it delightful when we visit. Take care Sue H
ReplyDeleteWe don't really have a local butcher. The only good ones around are quite far away, so beyond my walking-reach. We did have some Sainsbury's top-quality Cumberland Sausages quite recently. They were quite pleasant, but a totally different product to what we're used to.
DeleteBrighton is FUN.