We are being told that Nasty Weather, and/or Putin, could reek havoc in the UK this Winter. We should stockpile bottled water, baked beans, tinned food of all sorts, and maybe even buy a camping gas stove, in case all the utilities disappear.
Frankly, if water, gas, petrol, and electricity, were all cut-off I think we'd find it quite difficult to survive, even if we did possess an industrial pack of bog paper, and a year's supply of wholemeal flour.
We do have a BBQ, so a stock of charcoal might be a good idea. But with no power for the freezer, where would we store our chops, burgers, or snags.
Humans can live for quite a while without food, but we can't live without water. So a huge stash of bottled water would probably be advisable. Have you see the price of bottled water???
In the UK I live by the sea; but why is there no desalination plant nearby? Surely this can't be difficult, and they'd have the salt to sell as a by-product. There used to be a pool along the coast somewhere that used sea water that had been through a desalination plant; so these things can be done.
So, will we be stocking-up on baked beans and spaghetti hoops? I don't think so. I might buy a few multi-packs of bottled water, but otherwise I'll cross my fingers, and throw caution to the winds!
Let El Nino do his worst!
By watching the tv News and other programs with the constantly interrupting tv and radio commercials with their loud, hyped up, jocular and over excitable messages where people are dancing, laughing, screaming and basically acting the fool, all for their sponsors, you might actually think that there's no cost of living crisis, no one living with cancer, no out of control mass illegal immigration, no long NHS waiting lists. And we seem unconcerned and very much unprepared over the threats from Putin.
ReplyDeleteWhy does the media throw on us this false utopian world that simply doesn't exist. Is it to blind us from what's really going on?
When my tv remote control's mute button broke recently I ordered a new one immediately and just switched off the tv until a new one arrived, so that as soon as the dreaded commercials came on I suddenly became the fastest draw in the West and hit that mute button. I just don't want all that noise and fake optimism blasting out in my peaceful living space.
Even my own choice of daily Radio listening on Classic FM is infested with these annoying commercials. The most annoying one being for tooth care with that song 'When you're smiling, keep on smiling, the whole world smiles with you.' I actually dive across the room to turn it off when that one comes on. And if it's all too much I'll switch to the dreary music on Radio 3.
'Global News' who supply most Radio Stations with their News bulletins has a lot to answer for their happy News bulletins and in the way they downplay tragic News stories, reading them out in an almost happy jocular tone, as if not to upset it's listeners.
The most professional and capable newsreader I can ever remember was the lovely Moira Stewart, now 76. She always appropriately adjusted her tone to suit each story, particularly lowering her tone for a tragic story. Something they no longer do.
Yes, Britain is going through a bad time and worse may come. But the Lame Stream Media don't want you to know.
When watching terrestrial TV, I usually have my crossword book with me, and as soon as the ads come on, I revert to my book. However, some channels have so many ads on that one can almost go and clear-out the gutters before your programme comes back on again. I find it incredibly annoying.
DeleteIn the UK I listen to BBC Radio 4 Extra; no news, and no ads. Lovely.
I keep on reading those warnings for British people. Warning warning Putin is coming. Or floods, or droughts. Earthquakes and volcanoes???
ReplyDeleteWe have 10 6-packz of water because someone refuses to drink tap water. Everytime I go shopping I buy 1 more. Always got a few extra loo rolls.
I think we'd survive. Our lives are simpler. We'd have to get big cans of seawater for the loo.... as long as we had petrol for the car.
And the island has a desalination plant now.
Plenty of wine and oil and greens to gather from the fields.
I sure don't want to test our capacity for survival though!!
I have no idea if all these threats are real, but we keep being told that they are. Only time will tell. I'll probably buy a few extra jars of different Sun-dried Tomato products, plenty of Pasta, and wine. Otherwise I won't bother.
DeleteThis made me glad I'm deaf, I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio, I live in a silent world.
ReplyDeleteWell, I don't envy your deafness, but it obviously has some advantages. My wife is a bit 'hard of hearing', and often doesn't bother with her hearing aids. I think she rather likes the silence too.
DeleteDuring the plandemic I had a healthy stockpile of packets and tinned food in my cupboard. Now I am eating my way through it while waiting for the impending disasters to come along and wipe us off the face of the earth. I happily skip through all adverts, My deafness is is a big help to weed out the voices that I don't want to listen to.
ReplyDeleteI have quite a big stock of food in Brighton. Lots of Paté, tins of exotic seafood etc, packs of noodle soups, and lots of everyday essentials. I'm quite looking forward to seeing it all again. No doubt I will go on another food-buying trip as soon as I get back. I just hope there's stuff in the shops!
DeleteIn my house (I live alone), ad. breaks are for filling the kettle up (they are sometimes long enough to make a cuppa), tidying the kitchen, feeding the cat, letting said cat out and then in again, filling the hot water bottle in winter, as well as regular bathroom breaks, so they are very useful. I do have a bit of an apocalypse cupboard (as my son used to call it) but then I always build it up for winter in case it is too icy for me to go out.
ReplyDeleteThe ad-breaks certainly have their uses. Making a cup of tea/coffee usually fits in well. Last winter (in Brighton) it hardly dropped below Zero C, so I'm hoping it'll be the same again this year. I don't go out much any more, only in the car, but icy pavements have always been a pain.
DeleteEl Nino? Is that Putin's nickname? I didn't realise he was Mexican. Does he wear a colourful poncho?
ReplyDeleteI do know that he wears Mickey Mouse underpants; he's a huge fan.
DeleteBritish farmers are having to decide if it is worth planting a crop for next year when there is no hope of making a profit.
ReplyDeleteI feel so sorry for British farmers; they are being attacked on all sides. Sadly, we all know that the attackers will live to regret their actions.
DeleteI'm just back from the funeral of a very dear friend. I shall now go and sit in the shade, with a glass of wine, and contemplate. A demain!
ReplyDeleteDeja vu all over again.... Wasn't all of this the hype at the UK time of COVID?
ReplyDeleteSounds like an excellent way to artificially create shortages by encouraging some idiots to panic buy?
When I lived at home with my parents in the 1950s/60s we always had a pantry full of long life essentials, but that was because we lived on a farm in the country, not just round the corner from shops. So we had to be prepared for not being able to get to shops in bad weather.