Saturday, 1 August 2026

Jeans; the story continues.


It was back in August of 2016, ten years ago, when I bought a couple of pairs of Jeans here in France.

I hadn't worn Jeans for years, and I was tempted by seeing these (below) on offer at my local Leclerc supermarket, for the ridiculous sum of just 6.35 Euros per pair. About £5.


Since then I've worn them a lot. The are quite heavy so they are more Winter wear rather than for Summer. They are still in perfect condition.

They are 'old codger' Jeans; no tears in the knees, no skin tight legs, and no artificial bleaching. Just good old solid and comfortable Jeans that are made to last. They are tough Cowboy Jeans. Jeans for Horse riding.

So, this is what I used to look like whilst out walking with Billy. I even still wear the same scarf, and hobble along with the same silver topped cane. Billy is still with me too.


In a perfect world I would like to be buried in my Jeans; they would make a perfect 'shroud'. And I would definitely be wearing my beige Desert Boots. 

I haven't worn them for a couple of months; it's been too hot. But they are in waiting, and I look forward to wearing them again.



 

13 comments:

  1. "Old Codger" is my favourite leisurewear brand. I have got two of their beige cardigans with brown leather buttons and I am fond of their string vests and baggy off-white Y-fronts. I assume that you have already flicked through their summer catalogue. I was immediately drawn to the braces and the egg-stained waistcoats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just invested in some 'Old Codger' braces for my Jeans. They hook around the belt loops, rather than use buttons or clips. I haven't tried them yet; I may end-up looking like an ageing 'Mod'.

      Delete
    2. I have been wearing braces since the day I reached pensionable age. They are very liberating and reassuring. No more issues with belts and hoiking your trousers up all the time. Also, they make a cool fashion statement I think though bizarrely my dear wife does not agree.

      Delete
  2. I love the Jean look. You're a dashing old Codger. Why can't you be buried in them and wearing the bootz?? Here the coffin is open and even with it all on show a lot of people choose what they want to wear, you're mostly covered by flowers anyway.
    Shudder, what a topic. I could say a lot more but I want.
    I used to love jeans, couldn't think of a time I wouldn't wear them. Now I like elasticated anything. Denim is too rigid, doesn't bend with the body.
    Enjoy your jeans, your unique style and walks with Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billy just fell in the pool. I heard a lot of splashing then looked round to see him trying to swim. I grabbed him and put him on the side. That was his first ever actual swim; in the sea he only goes in up to his tummy.

      Delete
  3. I wrote about influencers yesterday, briefly. There are a lot of Netflix documentaries about influencers that have become over greedy, over competitive and things turning very nasty. I watched one last night where a female influencer threatened death to her rivals. It's a tough life being an influencer. The photo of the jeans made me wonder if you were going to get the same comment you got last time you published it a few months ago. I note you haven't in those received. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling I'd written about my Jeans before, but I must have forgotten !!!
      The whole concept of 'Influencers' as a money making occupation, is very bizarre. It makes you wonder what they'll dream-up next.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fine choice to me. The older I grow the more I just want to wear what works for me. I have to say, I'm very glad you aren't wearing striped bell bottoms. I would have to question some of your other choices if that were the case. I especially like the dapper red scarf! That was scary with Billy. Good thing you were in hearing distance. I'm sure you had a stern talk with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, poor Billy. I think it was quite a shock. He normally only goes in water up to his tummy. He wasn't far away, then swam over to me and I fished him out. I like the red scarf too!!

      Delete
  5. Cro, what breed is Billy? I thought most dogs can swim... a little dog paddling anyway. But good you were there for him. As for jeans and what you call "braces"? I think braces are called suspenders here... but I think jeans and braces are perfect for any age... not just old codgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a Border Collie. They're mostly farm dogs, but they make great pets too. I haven't yet tried my braces. They are a new design and I can hardly wait to see if they work as hoped.

      Delete