Today is my Father's birthday, he was born on August 5th 1905.
He wasn't a Cricket on the Lawn, Camping in the Woods, or Swimming in Lake, type of father; he was more a solid, old-style, presence.
I have so much to thank him for. He gave us lovely homes to live in, the best schools to attend, and a good solid home life. We never lacked anything; but we were never demanding. We grew-up with high standards of behaviour, honesty, and the respect for others.
He was always involved in local politics, and was well-loved as an employer. He was both a 'generous and a good' person.
So, Father, thank you again for everything. All that you did for me is still highly appreciated, and I continue to tell your great grandchildren what a kind person you were. Your picture (above) hangs in pride of place, in our Sitting Room in France; in the house you so aptly named 'The Nut House' (on account of the nearby Walnut trees!).
Below is my father as a boy, with his older brother, my Uncle Reginald.
What a profound gift to your life, a father whose memory you can give honor to. A father who protected and cared for his wife and children. These are the heroes we absolutely should eulogize and never forget. Those that placed into our hands a plumb line that we can use to build the future for our children. I honor your father with you.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate him more as I get older. I looked after him for the last few years of his life. He was a double amputee, but never complained. His greatest accolade was that he was well liked by everyone.
DeleteA long goodbye. That was a gift.
ReplyDeleteIt didn't always seen like it. Not what I was expecting.
DeleteI love the fact that every August 5th you pay homage to your father on his birthday. As you might remember, August 5th was my own father's birthday and the birthday of my late brother Paul who would have been 79 today. I remember them both with deep affection.
ReplyDeleteWe have that in common, and we both respect their memories. It's good to honour those who've meant a lot to us.
DeleteWonderful tribute!
ReplyDelete..... yesterday you wrote about vinegar use....
Here is a home made recipe that works.... 5 litres of real household vinegar from the supermarket [14% acid by volume] which is less than a quid a litre!
Pour half into a bucket and add 100gms of salt ande stir until disolved, then ad two tablespoons worth of liquid soap [any will do, but soft soap is best] and stir gently in. With a funnel, pour back into 5litre container, lid on and rock gently to mix.... you don't want the foam to appear.
Load spray weapon and apply.... use only on paths and never by flowers, veg or fruit.... needs to be done every month for any deep rooted dandelion family/thistle family plants, but a small spray gun allows you to spotweed.every time you see a bit of green.
The main reason for not near flowers, fruit or veg is that the continuous application of acid changes the soil. And five lirtes goes a long, long way. Recipe first appeared in a gardening newspaper in around 1900.
Thanks for that Pré. I shall certainly give it a go. I wouldn't have thought of the soap!
DeleteA very heartfelt tribute to an obviously much loved father.
ReplyDeleteI try to remember him on this page (plus a couple of others) every year. Some people need to be remembered; whilst some are best forgotten.
Delete121 years of history, going forward into the next generation.
ReplyDelete1905 seems a long time ago; in fact it IS a long time ago.
DeleteA wonderful tribute. You're priveleged to be able to look back at these memories
ReplyDeleteThe more I hear the accounts of other people's childhoods, the more I realise I was very lucky.
DeleteLovely tribute, Cro. My father was born in 1907 in England. His family moved to the U.S. in 1920 after the war. I was lucky too... as he was a good man. I only wish I'd asked him more about his family in England and Ireland when I was younger. He died in 1981.
ReplyDeleteI wish I'd thanked my father for all he did for me. I regret than I didn't.
DeleteA beautiful tribute to your father. It is important that your children and your grandchildren know what a wonderful man he was. Thank you for sharing your life with us.
ReplyDelete