Sunday, 6 September 2015

RIP Rico Rodriguez.


My mate Rico died on Friday, he was one of the greats of Ska.

Born in Cuba, brought up in Jamaica, and worked mostly in London, he was a living legend of Jamaican/London Ska.

Most people know him from The Specials, and Jools Holland's big band, but his portfolio of work was huge.

Here he is back in 2012, looking a little frail, singing with Jools. I shall remember him thus.

RIP Rico... now up at the big Ram Jam Club in the sky. My love to his wife Tracey and the boys; Cro xxx




12 comments:

  1. I heard about his death on Radio 4. We've lost a brilliantly accomplished musician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a man with no 'airs and graces' whatsoever.

      Delete
  2. Another of the world's music greats is no more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw him live once. I forgot he was a mate of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw him at the Royal Albert Hall with Jools Holland ….. brilliant show …… I was in the aisles dancing away !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing was obligatory for his closing number. Great band.

      Delete
    2. 'Enjoy yourself.. it's later than you think... etrc

      Delete
  5. As a big fan of ska this news has been all over my Facebook feed as a loss to music. Condolences to you on the loss of your friend x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I do wish that I could have seen one of his performances, just one please, over the years.

    I do send condolences to you on this loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems so many are passing of late. Guess it's to be expected when we get old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen him with Jools so many times over the years..and 'enjoy yourself' will seem poignant now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I listen to this music and I have to get up and dance. I cannot keep still.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...