Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Modern Archeology.


I rather enjoy looking at photos of my old paintings, or even at the paintings themselves.

I once went to a house where the owner wanted to show me one of my old paintings that she'd bought. When I saw it I couldn't remember it at all; I simply had no recollection whatsoever of having painted it. Some time later I did remember it, but how I'd originally forgotten it is still a mystery.


I've always rather liked this large painting entitled 'Small War'. When it was almost finished a painter friend of mine visited my studio and accused me of 'losing the plot'. I was quite disturbed by his comment as I'd thought the total opposite. I remember that I didn't paint for weeks after, and just sat in a Café.


Whilst going through the same pile of old snaps, I came across this one of me sitting in a Café. I think it must be the only surviving picture of me with a cigarette in my mouth. 

When I think of how I spent about 40 years with packets of untipped Gauloises in my pocket, it makes me shudder (I quit about 16 years ago). It's a bloody miracle that I don't have breathing or other tobacco related problems; untipped Gauloises are some of the strongest fags around.




17 comments:

  1. I love your painting... I am no art fiend... indeed I probably am a philistine on that front... but it somewhat reminds me of a Picasso...I am aware that a comment like that can be taken the wrong way... I meant it in the nicest way possible...And I am a little bit in love with the man puffing away on a fag in the Cafe. How dapper!

    Jo in Auckland, NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He no longer exists; he's now much older and less dapper.

      Delete
    2. I'm no oil painting either Cro ;-)

      Jo in Auckland, NZ

      Delete
  2. Very surreal - the painting, not you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were probably on acid at the time and forgot everything. with tangerine tree and marmalade skies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than likely on Vin Rouge.... not so much fun.

      Delete
  4. I rather like the painting Cro. As for giving up the Gauloises, a good decision. They did for my dad in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can taste the Gauloises now! Twenty years ago for me. Best thing I ever did.
    Doesn't take a deal to unsettle the creative mind Cro, but you clearly got your Mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Artists are sensitive souls and its surprises me sometimes how one bad comment on something I've made can affect me so much, you are not alone Cro.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone's a critic, huh? Can't stand that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE your painting Cro - and am so pleased to see one at last.
    Dare I say that in that photograph of you, you look exactly like my son does now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate to compare an artists work with another artist but, like the first comment from Jo, I found a picasso-esque quality about it…. NICE !!
    I am of a similar age to you Cro and I used to smoke Gauloise and Gitaines just to look cool !! They were a bit too strong for me …… I mostly smoked B&H or for pure sophistication, Dunhill International and St Moritz with the gold band !!!!!! What a show-off !!!! After your post, I'm going to post a photo of me when I was 17, smoking next !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even just recently I've written stories or poetry then come across them just a month later and although vaguely familiar it is as if they were written by my alter ego, I'll call her Donegal. Age ? Maybe. I think more than when we create, really create, we get into a very deep state that cannot be re-entered at a later date. Then of course there is always the illicit drug theory. I toll love the old pic of you, so very Greenwich Village of the 60's. The painting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't understand people who make such thoughtless comments. Such audacity. How could he possibly know what you were thinking at the time, or any time? Unbelievable. It's very painful for the artist to put their work "out there" and I'm very careful what I say. Even the worst, can muster an "interesting" instead of his remark. Sorry, Cro...you've touched a nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very deux magots-esque. Like the painting as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...