Saturday, 18 December 2010

Are you sitting comfortably...

The brain is the strangest of computers.

I'm currently feeding some friends' cat whilst they're away galavanting in Blighty. And, this morning on my way home (as I 'trudged' through half a centimeter of snow), I was reminded of two of my absolute favourite childhood books. I wonder WHY?

Above is Pookie; the rabbit with wings. I used to cry every time my mother read this one to me, and no doubt I still would if I had to read it to my grandchildren.

And this is Ameliaranne who fought off bullies, organised concerts, and was an all-round good egg (a junior Judy Garland of her literary day).

I still have the books, but I'm afraid they're both in a pretty poor state from far too much use. I'm sure that much of my enjoyment of them was on account of their beautiful illustrations.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I hadn't thought about those books for years - I used to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that they were both yours (originally)! Isn't it good to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet my kids would love both of these. I'll have to have a search on ebay sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ameliaranne is a name from my childhood, along with those other do-gooders, Milly-Molly-Mandy and the Little Grey Rabbit. I tried to inflict them on my daughters when they were small but they were having none of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I bet Harvey J and Ollie still love looking at them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...